Malocclusion is one of the most common dental conditions characterized by the misalignment of teeth. Misaligned teeth can occur as teeth develop or result from certain childhood habits like thumb sucking or if the jaw is too small compared with the size of the teeth. The other symptoms of malocclusion, in addition to misaligned teeth, are discomfort or difficulty while chewing. It can lead to various concerns related to the functionality and aesthetics of the teeth.
It is more beneficial if the condition is diagnosed and treated when the individual is still young to have better and lasting results.
Invisalign offers an alternative to traditional metal braces to correct malocclusion and bite issues by using clear aligner trays that gradually straighten your teeth. The Invisalign system uses a series of aligners made of a clear, thin, medical-grade polymer, and since they are clear and invisible when worn, you can wear them throughout the day without the aesthetic discomforts that usually come with metal braces.
What can Invisalign treat?
Invisalign treats the dental problems that include:
- Crowded teeth: If the jaw is small, there won't be enough space available in the jaw to fit all the teeth comfortably.
- Widely spaced teeth: Here, there will be much space between the teeth due to abnormal jaw growth or teeth shifting caused as a result of missing teeth
- Crossbite:In this situation, both the upper and lower jaws will be misaligned.
- Overbite:Here, the upper teeth bite is over the lower teeth.
- Mild relapse: Here, relapsing tooth movement occurs after removing the traditional braces.
Specialty of Invisalign aligners
Invisalign aligners are unique as they offer the following benefits:
- Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible and are esthetic.
- They are removable.
- Invisalign aligners do not affect eating and drinking.
- Brushing and flossing is easy with Invisalign aligners.
- They are more comfortable than dental braces.
- They do not cause any mouth wounds.
- Invisalign aligners do not require much treatment time.
Dental braces, which have been used as the most popular orthodontic appliances, pose a few drawbacks, such as a higher risk of sustaining oral trauma, displeasing appearance of the smile, and discomfort when the teeth are moved from their positions. Invisalign is a solution to these disadvantages as it is made from dental-grade transparent plastic that stays under disguise while performing its function. The aligners match the teeth' shape and can be worn like a mouthguard.
During your initial consultation at our dental office, we will diagnose to determine the severity of your malocclusion. If you are found suitable for the treatment, we will conduct oral scans and dental x-rays. The data from the scans will be used to fabricate the aligners in our laboratory.
Once the aligners are ready, we will guide you about their usage. Ideally, they need to be worn for at least 22 hours every day to ensure that the teeth are moved to the desired alignment. During eating, brushing, or during necessary circumstances, you can take it off. You will be given a new set of aligners once every two weeks, which would be slightly different in contour. This helps you advance to the next stage of treatment and move the teeth further to the ideal position. Depending on the severity of malocclusion, Invisalign treatment may last between 6 months to a few years as opposed to metal braces, which require 36 or more months.
To find out if Invisalign clear aligners can help improve your smile, book an appointment at Ideal Smile of Stamford by phone or online today.