Dental veneers are thin, flat pieces made of porcelain, custom-made to match the shape and size of specific teeth. They are one of the simplest dental restorations fabricated in such a way that their contour resembles the frontal surface of the tooth. They are fixed to the teeth' frontal surface primarily for cosmetic purposes, such as re-contouring and restructuring the teeth, getting rid of the surface imperfections, covering the discoloration on the tooth surface, treating excessive spacing between adjacent teeth, etc.
What are the applications of a veneer?
Veneers are used to treat several oral conditions that include the following:
- Chipped teeth: When a patient experiences oral trauma, it can lead to chipped teeth where the tooth loses a certain edge or surface. Veneers are used to bring such teeth to their ideal shape and restore functionality.
- Cracked or broken teeth: When external trauma causes a crack or fracture of a tooth, it can be supported and held intact using a veneer. The veneer also helps cover the gap left by the crack, thus preventing the entry of microbes into the tooth's pulp.
- Naturally misshapen teeth:Misshaped teeth are the ones that are naturally out of shape. Veneers can make such teeth appear visually better.
- Discolored teeth:Tooth stains or discoloration can happen due to a variety of reasons. Teeth whitening is one of the most common methods to bring such teeth back to their original color. But, if the discoloration is severe, whitening techniques may not yield the desired result. In such cases, a veneer will be the best option - it can be bonded on to the surface of the tooth, giving it an aesthetic makeover.
- Excessively spaced teeth:Excessive spacing between teeth can make smiles look weird. This can be reduced using veneers.
- Worn-out teeth: Biting and chewing of food can cause natural tear and wear of teeth. However, the condition will get worsened if the teeth wearing occurs due to bruxism or teeth grinding. This will make the teeth look aesthetically displeasing and shorter in appearance. Veneers help to lengthen the crown and restore its ideal shape and length.
Advantages of veneers
Porcelain veneers offer a plethora of benefits, which are mentioned below.
- Veneers can be fabricated to mimic the exact appearance of a natural tooth, making it virtually invisible.
- Veneers are very strong and durable when bonded to the teeth.
- Veneers can be used for both functional and aesthetic purposes. It helps to improve the color of the discolored tooth and makes it look more presentable.
- The treatment process is very simple and doesn't consume much time. Once bonded, the veneers offer excellent stability.
- Veneers can be used to treat multiple conditions - to cover cracks, eliminate excessive gaps between adjacent teeth, cover teeth discoloration, etc.
- Porcelain Veneers are the best stain resistors.
- The gums can easily tolerate veneers.
To find out which type of veneer is right for you, book an appointment at Ideal Smiles of Stamford by phone or online today.